Perfluoralkoxy, in contrast to PTFE, is capable of thermoplastic processing. Due to the highly similar structure of its molecular chains, however, this plastic also offers most of the advantages for which PFA is known.
The thermoplastic properties are achieved by adding a modifier during manufacture of the raw material. HEUTE + COMP. GmbH+Co. uses PFA predominantly for making linings and casings for the chemical industry.
The attributes are:
- Very good chemical resistance
- High temperature resistance Continuous operating temperatures of -200°C to +260°C (without mechanical stress) Refer to the table
- Excellent sliding properties Easy to clean
- Good insulation properties PFA and PTFE have a specific insulation resistance of 1018 Ohm*cm.
- Water absorption The water absorption of 0.03% after 24 h is somewhat higher compared with PTFE.